November 11th, 2010 in News
You are browsing the archive for workshop.
December 2nd, 2009 in Events
The TDAC website needs an overhaul and we’re looking for designers and WordPress developers to help. The site is built on the WordPress MU platform with BuddyPress modules installed. It’s pretty simple though, and if you have any WordPress or CSS knowledge you can definitely help.
Where: 115 E Broadway Blvd., Tucson, AZ 85701 (map it)
When: Wednesday, December 9th from 7pm to 9pm
What: Bring a laptop and your coding skills. We’ll share theme files and give access to the server as needed.
Who: Tim Bowen and Lance Willett will definitely be there. Hopefully we’ll have at least 5-10 others to help make things go quickly and offer suggestions.
Why: To improve the TDAC website. If done well it should help us all!
Please RSVP by leaving a comment below.
Here’s a brief outline of what we’ll be trying to accomplish. Your suggestions are welcomed, please add them in the comments below!
- Simple to add (edit?)
- Official TDAC vs Regular Submitted
- Register for events
- Help to decide on future events. Interest List?
- grid should be easy to explore and filter through
- Gravity Forms submission to specific WPMU blog (and category)
- Jobs need to expire
- Login to respond to a job and see contact info
- “I’m looking for ___ work” ?
USER PROFILES (directory focused)
- Separate directory for members and companies
- For company profiles choose status: hiring, outsourcing, full
- More fields
- Images of work
- Select type of work they do (top 3 categories)
- Combine mailing list (google group) with member profile. Manage subscriptions. Built in Newsletter (Subscribe2 plugin?)
- Directory of members by tag/category
- Twitter feed shows activity
- Relationship status for jobs (busy, open, eager)
- Facebook Connect
- Get points/recognition for answering questions?
- Pricing info for typical services (discussion?)
- Panels discussing a topic
- Interview members (quick, short, interesting)
- Of Past Events
- Live streaming (ustream.com)
- Learning Area
- the deck (http://decknetwork.net/)
- google ads?
- member sponsorships?
- local business sponsorships?
- TDAC “Points” for giving presentations or answering questions. Top point members featured.
- Integration with spoke6 co-working space?
FORUMS / GROUPS
- Separate forum for easy navigation of all discussions.
We’ll start with as much time as people want to work this Saturday, then see if we want to do another day on Saturday the 14th.
Where: 115 E Broadway Blvd, Tucson, AZ 85701 (map)
When: March 7th, 2009 from 10am to 5pm?
Come and participate for as much of the time as you wish: a few minutes, an hour, or all day. Designers, copywriters, coders, thinkers, tinkerers—all are welcome to join the collaboration. There should be something for everyone, but we’ll probably focus on WordPress plugins and themes.
Bring your laptop.
Here are some of the things which we can work on:
Design / usability
- Clean up design and content. Add credits area for those working on site.
- Add more content boxes for profiles. Images too?
- Re-organize homepage to be more logical.
Enhancements and fixes
- Easier Event posting. Sign up for events?
- Avatar uploading troubleshooting
- Member directory troubleshooting (clean it up, make it big grid?)
New features (plugins or theme changes)
- Twitter feed to stream all the TDAC members’ Twitter updates
- Connect Forum to BuddyPress
- Jobs board (separate blog)
- Link to Facebook. use “facebook connect” ?
- Search site feature
- Podcasting / Videocasting
- Add survey and polls
- Featured work gallery that members can submit to?
Some useful links:
Most of the WordPress plugins will work with this installation: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/
If you have ideas of things to add to the list, please submit a comment below and come with your ideas on Saturday.
November 19th, 2008 in Events
The Tucson Digital Arts Community (TDAC) will be holding a WordPress Workshop for those interested in learning more about this growing content management system.
When: January 14th, starting around 6pm (ending around 8pm)
Where: 115 East Broadway Blvd., Tucson, AZ 85701 (map it)
The following 8 topics will be covered:
- First steps after installing WordPress by Greg Loumeau
- Themes and switching between designs by Tim Bowen
- How to install pre-made plugins by Mike Schmidt
- Writing your own plugins by Joshua Bettigole
- WordPress for Photographers by Jeff Turman
- WordPress SEO by Franco Johnson
- WordPress Security by Ian Johnson
- WordPress for Collaboration by Lance Willett
Each presentation will last between 10 and 20 minutes. This is a great opportunity for anyone who is already working with WordPress or for those looking at various options to build a new website.
Please bring your favorite beverage. We’ll have wine glasses, an ice filled cooler and some light snacks for everyone. This is another free Tucson Digital Arts Community event!
This link is from Greg’s WordPress presentation: http://css-tricks.com/first-steps-after-wordpress-instal/
March 20th, 2008 in Events
This talk will be given by Tim Bowen and go over the WordPress theme and plugins which make up TucsonDigitalArts.com. We’ll go through basic CSS manipulation, PHP template editing, and plugin implementation. The following features will also be explained:
- Integrating an Event Calendar (as well as a Google Calendar)
- Building Polls
- Newsletter sign up and management
- Contact Forms
- Member Management
- and more!
Please come with snacks, drinks, suggestions and questions. The talk will start shortly after 6:30 and last about an hour.
Location: 115 East Broadway Blvd., Tucson, AZ 85701
March 3rd, 2008 in Events
We’ll go through an entire basic installation of WordPress and also cover some essential template modification tricks. It would be helpful if you take a look at this before then:
Come with questions based on issues that come up when you’re going through it. Also, bring snacks or beer if you’re so inclined.
After the fact:
We had over 15 people show up for this TDAC Workshop. (photos below)